VFX Quick Tip: How to Animate Particles Through Custom Vertex Data
We'll show you how to drive a simple subtraction dissolve in today's Quick Tip!
You can use the the custom data module in a particle system to drive data to alter our shader over a particle's lifetime. In this instance we are using the third channel from our UV node to drive a simple subtraction dissolve for our particles to give the splat a better end.
How to Animate Particles Through Custom Vertex Data
- Add UV node and split the channels in shader
- Subtract the unused UV B Channel from the texture and plug it into Alpha
- Go back to effect and enable Custom Vertex Streams under the render module
- Enable Custom Data in the effect and choose vector from the drop down under Custom1
- Change number of components to 1 and change the data type to "Curve"
- Add a Custom1.x vertex stream in the render module
- Adjust curve as desired!